Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wednesday...

So today I finally had breakthrough in my classes. After being told yesterday that I needed to make the classes more interesting (despite not receiving any training in even HOW to teach this shit) I decided that I was just going to print out a bunch of questions and spend class time just talking to the students. Depending on the size of the class and how talkative they are...this can be kinda fun. Today we talked about the earthquake in Haiti and I discovered that Koreans are not very in to humanitarian work. I asked that if in a hypothetical situation, they were in Haiti...if they would help the people by joining in the relief work. They looked at me like I was crazy. I did kill in class today with a stolen joke from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"...the only about the man being the head of the household but the woman is the neck. I saw that movie once as part of a class and for some reason that joke always stuck with me...I'm glad I was able to steal it for my own gain.

I was also asked to guess everyone's age in the classroom (and range between 17 and mid 40's) and they thought it was hilarious that I couldn't give an accurate age. Many times..Ii wasn't even close. Like...I told a 17 year old I thought she was 27 and a 40 year old that she was in her mid 20's. It's damn hard! Normally I am pretty good at guessing ages...but not here. I told them that to me, all Asian people looked the same...to which I was told that all White people look the same so it was ok.

I've been trying to learn a few Korean words...and they LOVE it when I successfully pronounce something. My address is:

Josh Yochem c/o Top Language School
1266-14 3rd Floor Deokjin-dong 1 ga
Deokjin-gu Jeonju-si Jeollabuk-do
South Korea, 561-191

I asked them to explain this to me...because that is some seriously confusing shit. I also wanted to know what the hell "dong" was because even at 28 I found that shit to be funny. I also informed the students that their addresses were too long and explained that I lived in a city MUCH larger than theirs in the US, and even I could write out a complete address in 3 short lines.

After almost a week of being in this place...I FINALLY found a place who's food doesn't gross me out. It was the first real meal I have eaten in several days. It cost me roughly $7...and since I am still only eating 1 meal a day...I will most likely just make a routine out of stopping at this place for lunch. On a side note...since I don't like the junk food here...and I am only eating 1 meal a day...if I am not dropping pounds like nobody's business...I am going to be so pissed.

Also, I registered for 3 of my classes at ASU today. I still have a few days to decide and a few more questions I need to get answered...but I really think I am going to try and go to college while I am out here.

Question I was asked today: "What is the difference between 'so' and 'such'?" How the f do I answer that question? Koreans are obsessed with grammar so they ask me to explain every little thing and I am usually left to just say "uh.....we say this..." I just tell them that I can tell the right answer...but I don't know WHY it is that way.

Todays blog wasn't all that funny, so I will leave you with a joke. "Two men walk in to a bar. The third one ducks". What did you expect? I'm not your God damned monkey!

1 comment:

  1. For everyone (but especially Josh!)

    http://www.englishforums.com/English/DifferenceBetween/bbkln/post.htm

    A simple difference between so and such! With exercises!

    In a nutshell we use so before an adjective referring to an object when we don't mention the object: ex. It's so nice! or That car is so nice.

    We use such when we include the object and you MUST ALWAYS incluse the article "a" or "an". ex. That is such a nice car.

    ReplyDelete